Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Every Family Has a Beginning

Just like every story has a start, every family has a beginning.  When we were young parents, we enrolled in a 16 week parenting class mostly because our little people didn't come with a user manual!

The great thing is that we learned many principles that laid the foundation in which we grew as a family.  One principle that really helped us was knowing that the newly married couple is the new family and children are an extension of that family.  I think this principle is key because it helps couples and parents remember to prioritize the marriage.  Since every family starts with the couple, I thought it would be fun to share the story of how we met.




For us, it all started in a little ice-cream shop in a little town way back in the summer of 1987.  I was employed by the Ice Cream Station and Ken's family was there for a night on the town.  Although we were from the same area and had graduated from the same school, I had not seen Ken since I had graduated a year earlier.  We met after I got off work that night, walked the streets of our little town and caught up on where we were going in life.  I was attending Eureka College, a small private school about fifteen miles from where I had grown up.  Ken was just days from leaving town for basic training and tech school for the Air National Guard.  We attended church together a couple of days later, had breakfast and parted ways.  No fireworks . . . not even an agreement to date when Ken returned from the guard.  It was just a re-acquainting of two school mates but because of this meeting, we did correspond some over the next few months and let's just say I was the second girl he called when he got back to the area! (More to that story coming at a later date . . . )

So how did you meet your spouse?  We would love to hear the story of your beginning!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa- I love this story. You two were CUTE! When can I put your blog on my sidebar and introduce you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken and Lisa- thinking of you a lot. I had forgotten that you didn't meet until after high school- since I knew both of you in high school, it always seems like you should have known each other! :-)
    Our story-- we met as maid of honor and best man at our friends wedding......the first time I talked to him was on the phone- my friend (the future bride) was with him and said "Do you want to talk to the man you'll walk down the aisle with?" :-)

    Thinking of you and praying-- - -

    ReplyDelete