Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Time for Comfort

Do you know people who must have all of the details before making a decision?  It sure can be annoying when you are waiting for THAT person to decide so you can get on with whatever you were deciding about - especially if it is Friday night and you are trying to decide what to do, where to eat or what movie to watch!

Well, I am normally that kind of person - one who collects information so I can make an informed decision.  This makes total sense to me and many others with a similar personality, but I can also admit to making several VERY naive decisions in my life.  I did not have ALL of the information before getting married, but I did it anyway.  I did not have ALL of the information before having children, but had them anyway.


This week I made another naive decision.  I had a general idea of what hospice was but found there was not time to gather ALL of the information.  We knew that Ken's health was failing fast, that he was not going to be able to fight for a liver transplant any longer so we decided to learn more about hospice services.  In less than two days, I met with three different hospice representatives.  I learned that hospice services can be offered in the hospital, in a nursing home, in a special hospice home or in your own home.  I naively chose our own home.  We home school, so why not do hospice at home too?

I have always said that home school is not for everyone.  I can honestly say the same about hospice care in the home.  It is not for everyone.   Shortly after we got home from the hospital, a hospice nurse met us at our home to make sure we had everything we needed.  Ken was very tired and went to bed.  He got up a few times in the night but by the next morning he was unable to get up any more.  I was overwhelmed with his care wondering if this naive decision was a very good one.  I did not have ALL of the information but am doing it anyway.

Just like getting married or having children, I have found that hospice care in the home is very similar.  Marriage and giving birth were definitely overwhelming at some point.  Both being married and raising children involved a learning process throughout each stage.  There is also no way to be married or to raise children without selfless acts of love and service to another person.   The past two days have been very difficult but our whole family is learning as we go.  The process of passing has begun and everyone in our family is finding ways to serve, love and care for Ken. We will learn through each stage, for however long that we need to learn.


We already have so many people to thank for being there for us, for setting up meals, for listening, for encouraging us and for praying. We appreciate it all very much!


12 comments:

  1. God bless you, Lisa. I am praying for your whole family as you walk this path. Soon Ken will find a peace that has eluded him for years and he will be healed at Heaven's Door.....oh--that it were so easy for those left to mourn. Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers from our home to yours. You have given Ken an incredible gift to being able to care for him in your home. Know that your family has an awesome God guiding and walking with you each and every step of the way. Sending love your way. Ken & Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly you all have my humble prayers for I know that your truest needs are already known, so I simply thank the Lord for walking with each of you in this journey. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your family and praying for strength and peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so saddened when I read the FB post that led to this blog. Like so many we had hoped that Ken might yet find a way. Our prayers are most certainly with you all, and I have encouraged the whole circuit to also include you and Ken and the family in their prayers, personal and congregational. May the Lord be with you and grant you the needed strength.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no words, except that I care, i,pray and I know when Ken leaves this world it wil be for a better place. I pray God will wrap you in his arms, with comfort and love.

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim and I join in prayer for each of you at this very moment. Love, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come Lord Jesus let your servent rest. Sending many prayers sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how my heart breaks for you and your family - I know how much all of your Loved Ken in real life and that didn't end when he died. I also rejoice with you knowing that Ken has been healed in Heaven! I will be praying for all of you at this very difficult time. God bless all of you!

    Hugs,
    Jan ♥

    ReplyDelete