Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Are Your Ducks in a Row?

I don't know about you, but I am happiest when my ducks are in a row!  I love it when everything has a place and everything is put back in that place. Some time after having children it seemed like I could never get those ducks to line up just right.



Then add in a decade of unpredictable medical issues that has had our family bouncing back and forth between our home and a city four hours away.  I often get asked "how do you keep it all together?"  The truth is I don't keep it all together but I have learned some organizational habits that have made things run a little smoother.  I thought I would share some of those tips here from time to time.  It won't matter your circumstance - this tip could save you some time, reduce some stress and possibly add in a little spontaneous fun.


For over twenty years I have had a "picnic basket" in my vehicle at all times.  It has changed forms over the years.  When we owned a Chevy Astro the picnic items were in a wash tub that slid under one of the bench seats like a drawer.  This is what it looks like now.  It sits in the back end of our Town & Country as I write.  There are times I may put it back in the wash tub and slide it into the Stow-n-Go.  It can also be moved easily into the trunk of a car.




In the bottom lays a table cloth.  There's a small bag of table cloth clips which comes in handy whenever it is windy.  There are eight cloth napkins which is also nice to have on those windy days.  I pack a medium sized plastic container with a lid to hold plastic silverware, a sharp knife, a can opener, a bottle opener, clothes pins, a mini bottle of dish soap and some hand sanitizer. There are several clear zip-lock bags to hold plates, cups, paper towels and extra paper napkins.  The bags keep everything clean.  I tucked away several plastic shopping bags in one of the side pouches of the basket.  This makes it very easy to clean up the trash when we are done.   There's also a glass bowl in order to heat things up in the microwave which comes in handy whenever we are at a hotel.




This all fits very nicely in the basket and is wonderful to have at all times! It makes it possible to run through a grocery store and have a spur of the moment picnic.  We have used these items for planned reunions, camping and road trips.  I just refill the items and wash the cloths each time we get home.  

Some friends have said they can't believe I would be this prepared.  I can't believe that I have had a picnic basket in my car for over 20 years!  So, as you see my ducks aren't always in a row, but we ARE ready to have some fun no matter where we are!!

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea, Lisa. I have a wicker picnic basket filled with such sundries, but it's in my garage. Good idea to keep in the car!

    ReplyDelete