Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Work of Grief

I was given a book by my mother about grieving just after Ken had passed away.   I am a firm believer in being a student and actively learning each day.  This book became a great resource for developing a better understanding of what our family has been going through.   So far I have learned that there is no set way to grieve,  that it will be different for everyone and that there is "work" involved in grieving.

I thought I'd share that we have each been grieving in our own way and as the days pass by, many things DO get better.   I believe each of us will gain strength from the things we have experienced and learned during this time.   I also believe that strength gained will be used to serve others in our own special way.

 
I have yet to do all of the "work" of grieving but I have gotten past many difficult things.  Some of this "work" is emotional - as emotions emerge at unexpected times.   Some is physical - especially as I begin to sort things and downsize.   Some is logistical - or what I now refer to as the paperWORK of grief.  So if I haven't written yet, called or came by to visit - it is because I'm still working on bringing closure to many things and taking time to envision new dreams. 

Today marks six months since Ken passed away so I thought I'd update my Blogger online profile. Here's how it now reads:
I am a Christian, was a wife but still a mom. Although I loved my career as a Recreational Therapist, I have been blessed to be a stay-at-home mom for the past nineteen years. It's been a privilege to home-school our children for most of their education. My late-husband was a pastor who was great at teaching people of all ages. He definitely left a legacy, especially in my life. Because of what he taught me, I seek to make a difference in people's lives by sharing resources, wisdom and encouragement!


What a blessing to have been lead and taught by someone who knew what it meant to leave a legacy!  I look forward to getting back to the "work" of leaving a legacy even though it may always be intertwined with the "work" of grief.

I truly look forward to reconnecting with many of you as I write.   I look forward to crossing paths when we can but as always, I look forward to encouraging each other through our words and prayers!
Blessings ~ Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, it's so good to see you back on your blog...you've been missed. I noticed your profile as soon as I got on your blog and it is truly lovely. You will remain in my prayers...

    Hugs,
    Jan ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 2 1/3 years since my husband of 36 1/2 years passed. I still grieve and have moments, but I celebrate the memories I have to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa, I am glad to see a post from you and looking forward to your move to be closer to us here in WI. I know you have been through a lot and I do think you have handled it with grace and aplomb. Your children are blessed to have you as the anchor in their life as they work through the grieving process, too.

    I can't believe it has been 6 months already. Life just keeps moving us along, doesn' t it? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete